Note: Items in italics have been added by ADNA for clarity
Former YWCA Built By Druggist in 90s
One of Anderson's most spacious homes of an earlier day is passing from the scene.
It is the large structure at 1011 Jackson ST., which served as the home of the local Young Women's Christian Association until the new YW building at 11th and Chase Sts. was completed and occupied this year.
The Jackson St. residence stood throughout the years as a reminder of the elegance of the gas boom era and the gracious and resplendent life following the turn of the century.
Erected in the 90s (1890s) by a druggist, Charles A. Henderson, the dwelling later was occupied by the families of Charles L. Henry, an industrialist who was instrumental in founding the Union Traction Company of Indiana and in erecting the Union Building, now the Citizens Bank Building; Harry Griffith, sent here from Indianapolis to manage Remy Electric Company following its acquisition by Stoughton Fletcher, Indianapolis banker; Martin C. Norton, president and general manager of the Norton Brewing Company, and Mrs. Norton's mother, Mrs. James L. Kilgore.
The story of the property starts as far as written records are concerned, with entry of a land grant by William Conner on Oct. 22, 1822. Lot No. 18, on which the home was constructed, was in the southwest square of Andersontown, part of a tract of 111.80 acres. The ground extended east to White River and south to the end of Meridian St., at that time. The grant was signed by President James Monroe.
Other Owners: Abstracts
show that John Berry acquired the land in 1827, when 50 acres were set
aside for the location of a county seat. Subsequent owners of Lot 18
and other ground, in some cases, are listed in the following record:
City directories show that the Hendersons were occupying a house on the Jackson St. site as early as 1882. The directory for 1882-83 gives this liting: "Charles A. Henderson (Henderson and Krauth). House west side of Jackson second south of Bolivar (10th)".
An 1890 directory shows Mr. Henderson operating a store handling drugs, books, paints and wallpaper at 23 E. 8th St. and the family home at 19 N. Jackson.
The 1891-92 directory discloses that Mr. Henderson had expanded his business operations materially. He was listed as proprietor of the Excelsior Drug Store, dealer in drugs, medicines, books and stationery, paints, oils, varnishes and wallpaper at 23 E. 9th St. and 57 N. Main St., also at 142 Locust St. The residence address was still listed as 19 N. Jackson.
The 1896 directory shows his store, handling drugs, sundries and cigars, at 48 N. Main St. and the residence at 19 N. Jackson.
It was in the 90s that the Hendersons decided to erect the spacious home. According to reports passed down by friends of the family, Mrs. Henderson had inherited $10,000, and she expressed a desire to use it in the construction of a large dwelling.
As work progressed on the new home, various changes were made in the plans and new features were added, sending the cost above the $10,000 figure.
The Hendersons and their children lived in the dwelling, one of the largest and most attractive in the city,, until 1897, when it was purchased by Mr. Henry. A 1902-3 city directory shows the Henderson had moved to 340 W. 11th St. and the Henderson Drug Store was located at 924 Main St.
Bought by Gilmores: In 1903, the Henrys moved to Indianapolis, and the original Henderson home was purchased by James L. and Pherebie Gilmore, who were living in a residence that stood on the southeast corner of 10th and Jackson where the Anderson Loan Association Building is located (now the location of the First Savings Tower or Madison Community Bank today).
Mr. Gilmore died on July 5, 1906, and it was his widow who sold the home at 1011 Jackson St. to the YWCA in 1915. Mrs. Gilmore resided in the dwelling along with her daughter, Maude E., and Mr. Norton.
The large residence, which is being razed by its present owner, the Anderson Loan Association, to provide additional parking facilities, apparently could have stood for centuries. Its walls, inside and out, were built of solid brick, 8 inches and 12 inches thick.
Its semi-Normandy tower on the northeast corner, its rounded windows, balconies and other unusual features made it one of the most pretentious homes in the city. Every room in the house has a gas grate for heating. There were at least eight large bedrooms, an attic that was completely finished and a stable in the rear.
All of the framing lumber was Michigan white pine, brought down from Michigan on the old White Pigeon line, now known as the Michigan division of the New York Central Railroad. The line was said to have been built especially to bring lumber to Indiana from Michigan and was reported to have gotten its name from millions of white pigeons along the route, although there is a city of White Pigeon and White Pigeon River in the Michigan area it serves.
The imposing home, situated on........
This article was continued in another section
of the paper - we're trying to find it!!
|Top of Page|
Site Hosted by Carmer Watson Properties, Inc.
By ADNA - Site Update January 5, 2014